Maximum Achievement for each student at all levels
Achievement comes in many different forms and collectively, as a school community, we take great pride in our individual and collective successes. We firmly believe that all our students can be successful and make the most of their gifts and talents. There are almost too many instances of academic excellence as well as accolades for success beyond the classroom we could cite here, but have selected some key examples below:
“Archbishop Holgate’s is an outstanding school because it has recognised the crucial importance of getting it right in the classroom…… The school’s work as a national Teaching School is also recognising the central importance of sharing expertise around what makes for effective pedagogy.” YCP
At the last Inspection:
- Ofsted graded us as Outstanding, our work in Design & Technology has since formed a best practice case study.
- SIAMS - The Diocesan Inspectorate - has graded us Outstanding in all areas.
The Department for Education has afforded us both:
- National Teaching School status (Pathfinder Teaching School)
- National Support School status
Other accolades include:
- C&K Careers Quality Standard Gold Award.
- International Schools Award
- Design Mark for Engineering
- Healthy Schools Award
- Sport England Sportsmark
- Speaker’s School Council Awards (Student Voice)
- The school consistently performs in the 10% of schools for student performance at AS and A2. In 2016 results were in the top 1% for A Levels.
- The Sixth Form was the highest performing centre nationally for Vocational Qualifications in 2013
- All students study GCSE RE and the pass rate places the school in the top 20% of all schools nationally
- The three year averages for performance at KS4 place the school as being significantly above national averages across all key performance indicators with GCSE results consistently among the best in the city
- In April 2014 the school was invited to 10 Downing Street to celebrate academic excellence in state education. It was also asked to pilot two prestigious new qualifications, the Technical Baccalaureate and Core Maths
Of over 1000 Ofsted Parent View responses:
- 96% agree their child is well taught
- 96% agree their child makes good progress
Examples of student achievement
“Outstanding opportunities for the gifted and talented.” Ofsted
- Scholarships to Oxford and Cambridge University, as well as successful applications onto medical, veterinary and dentistry degrees.
- Arkwright Engineering Scholarships
- Engineering case study on digital tools presented to a European conference
- Students speaking on a national level about the new Technical Baccalaureate
- Football scholarships to America
- 700 successful Archbishop of York Young Leaders
- Highly commended for R.A. Butler Politics Prize and Robson History Prize at Cambridge University
- Musical best practice from Archbishop Holgate’s has been shared with other schools through the Royal College of Music
- Winners of the Nestle Chocolate Box Challenge and Griffins’ Nest business award for the last two years
- Business students win ‘The Big Deal’ and a trip to New York
- Successful School Shows (Grease) and Drama productions (An Inspector Calls) each year
- Year 8 and 10 County Cup football winners
- York and District cricket, tennis and volleyball champions
- York Rotary Young Chef Champions
- Winners of the Ellen MacArthur Circular Economy video competition
Quality of Teaching and Leadership
“The golden thread which runs throughout the school improvement work at Archbishop Holgate’s is the attention that has been given to developing the quality of teaching.”
“The leadership team is extremely high calibre, led by a passionate and inspirational Headteacher. There is a real sense of openness, wisdom, and insight in their practice, which enables everyone in the Academy to feel valued and therefore to flourish.” - School Improvement Partner
The Headteacher is a National Leader of Education and alongside the rest of the leadership team share their expertise with other schools both locally and nationally.