L2 Travel and Tourism
“Travel is the ultimate inspiration” MK
The BTEC First in Travel and Tourism is designed to inspire and enthuse learners to consider a career in the travel and tourism sector to give learners the opportunity to gain broad knowledge and understanding of, and develop skills in, the travel and tourism sector. By undertaking the Level 2 in Travel and Tourism learners are supported in their progression to more specialised level 3 vocational or academic tourism course or an apprenticeship. The course is designed to give learners the potential opportunity, in due course, to enter employment within a wide range of junior job roles across the travel and tourism sector, for example: posts in travel agencies, visitor attractions and the tourist information centre.
On this course you will study 4 units:
- Unit 1: The UK Travel and Tourism Sector – this unit covers the main types of tourism in the UK, the contribution that travel and tourism makes to the UK economy and the different component industries that make up the UK travel and tourism sector.
- Unit 2: UK Travel and Tourism Destinations – this unit covers what the different types of UK destinations have to offer, as well as locating tourist UK destinations and routes.
- Unit 4: International Travel and Tourism Destinations – which looks at international travel and tourism destinations and gateways and reasons for their appeal to different visitors.
- Unit 6: The Travel and Tourism Customer Experience – which looks at the needs and expectations of different types of customer in the travel and tourism sector and how organisations address these.
The course is 75% coursework with only Unit 1 being assessed by an examination.
- BTEC First Award in Travel and Tourism
Exam board website
- You will be assessed through internally assessed coursework (75%) - using a range of diverse activities including assignment and project work, case studies, role play and presentations.
- External assessment (25%) – Unit 1 (1 hour paper based examination)
- The BTEC Award in Travel and Tourism is a Level 2 qualification, graded at Pass, Merit, Distinction and Distinction*.
Ways to help my child succeed
You will need the ability to think for yourself. You will also have to be self-motivated, organised, complete work thoroughly and have an excellent attendance record. Other than the usual equipment, a memory stick to back-up your coursework would be useful. To further your vocational experience, you will have the opportunity to participate in a range of activities such as visits from guest speakers and visit to a range of tourist attractions
Useful websites and Resources
BTEC First in Travel & Tourism Student Book - Rachael Aston, Nicola Appleyard, Gillian Dale, Malcolm Jefferies, Andrew Kerr, Christine King, Tom Rock, Carol Spencer