At Archbishop Holgate's School believe all homework must be meaningful, complement and extend classroom learning, to boost organisational skills and to promote self-discipline and independent learning. Students are encouraged to develop the skills, confidence and motivation needed to study effectively on their own. They may be asked to consolidate and reinforce skills and understanding developed in school or to extend school learning through additional reading. The homework diary helps students organise their time and keeps parents and carers involved and informed about the work students are doing.
Parents have been asked to support the school in its policy by:
- being informed about how much homework students can expect;
- signing the Homework Diary each week as a direct point of contact between home and school;
- helping their children to come to terms with their responsibilities by encouraging them to plan a regular homework time; trying to provide a firm and well-lit surface, free from distractions and supporting their children by looking, from time to time, at the work in progress so as to encourage them to give of their best.
Students are asked to:
- bring the Homework Diary to all lessons, as a basic piece of equipment ranking alongside pen/pencil/ruler/exercise books;
- keep the Homework Diary neat and clean;
- record, in full, in the Homework Diary, all homework set;
- give of their best on homework, using the Homework Diary to help them organise their time so as to meet deadlines
Types and amount of homework
Recommended time guidelines are given below:
- Year 7 and 8 - 20 minutes per subject, typically 2/3 subjects per night
- Years 9, 10 and 11 - 30 minutes per subject, typically 2/3 subjects per night
- Weekly – Eng, Ma, Sci, Hi, Gg, Germ/Fre
- Fortnightly – RE, ICT, Ar, Mu, Pd, Ft/Tx
- Weekly in all examination subjects studied (this is a minimum)
- There must be a minimum of 72 hours between the setting of homework and the collecting in of the homework. Homework should generally take the student 20 minutes to complete.
- There must be a minimum of 72 hours between the setting of homework and the collecting in of the homework. Homework should generally take the student 30 minutes to complete.
- There must be a minimum of 48 hours between the setting of homework and the collecting in of the homework. Homework should generally take the student 45 minutes on average to complete.
The value of homework activities is more important than the precise time devoted to them.
If you have any concerns or questions about homework please contact your Head of Year. CLICK HERE to contact us.