The majority of our students expect to go on to study Higher Education. The Sixth Form has an experienced and dedicated team in place to help all our students make the best choices at Post-18. Whether your choice is to continue to study at University, Further Education, Apprenticeship or enter into employment, we offer comprehensive support. The Sixth Form offers a bespoke programme to help students make their choice, offering a variety of different opportunities and guidance depending on intended progression route.
Every student in the Sixth Form experiences our Progression Programmes designed to support in preparing for Post-18. Students complete:
- Progression skills review and action plan once per term.
- Enrichment Day 1:Understanding Finance and Introduction to University life
- Enrichment Day 2: Introduction to UCAS or Apprenticeships
- Y13: UCAS support and mock interviews
Whilst competition for places at Oxford and Cambridge Universities is fierce, at Archbishop Holgate’s Sixth Form there is a great deal of support in place aimed at making sure that our students have the best chance of securing an offer. The support provided by the school includes:
- Strong links with our associate Oxbridge Colleges
- Attendance to the King’s College Cambridge Talk
- Cambridge University Residential Trip
- Mansfield College Oxford - Interview Workshop
- Summer School application support
- Subject specific workshops for Medicine, Veterinary and Dentistry.
- Intensive early entry application support including personal statement and pre-test guidance
- Opportunities for online courses to assist in developing wider understanding of subject
- Interactive activity based Veterinary and Medical workshops
- Sutton Trust residential opportunity for both staff and student
- Internal and external interview preparation.
Below is a summary of the Year 13 progression routes for the 2016 leavers:
- Students moving onto University (including GAP or deferred place) = 84%
- 27% of those students moving onto University have moved onto a Russell Group University
- 95% of those that went to university were accepted at their first choice (2 insurance, 2 clearing)
- Students continuing into further education = 2%
- Students moving onto full time employment or apprenticeship = 12%