A Level Photography

This course equips students with the ability to record striking imagery digitally using the latest editing software and photographic equipment. The course is structured to enable students to use a camera creatively, effectively and competently. Students will explore different styles and genres of photography and investigate modern and contemporary photographers. There is a strong practical element to the course, where students are encouraged to explore their own ideas within a structured framework, Students will be taught how to use Adobe Photoshop, Digital SLR camera’s and be inducted into using basic studio equipment. The course allows students to become technically sound using photography equipment but also enables them to interpret themes with a more conceptual and abstract take on recording imagery.

AS level Photography is 60% coursework, students work from a series of starting points including themes such as Urban, Reflections and Architecture. Technical skills and editing techniques are fed into the production of a sketchbook. The other 40% is an externally set assignment based on a theme set by the exam board. The students are required to put together a unit of work in a 10 week period ending with the production of a final piece or series of photographs within 10 hours.

A level Photography is again 60% coursework, students are now given greater independence to develop their own work from broad staring points and are encouraged to explore their own lines of enquiry. Differing slightly from AS level 12% of this comprises of a written personal study. This is an in-depth investigation of students own work and an analysis of the context it exists in. The other 40% of the course is the externally set assignment which is where the students have 10 weeks to put together a unit of work based on the theme set by the exam board, this ends with the production of a final piece or series of photographs in 15 hours.

Course Requirements

• An interest in using digital cameras and editing software.
• Commitment to take photographs in a multitude of locations as homework.
• A willingness to be self-motivated and work independently whilst also cooperating with others.
• Preferably - grade C or above in an Art & Design based subject or a Design Technology subject at GCSE.

Where can it take me?

Photography is good preparation for a career in the creative industry. In an increasingly digital world being able to operate modern technology effectively and use digital equipment is favourable in most employment opportunities. Photography is recognised as an important tool in the creative industry and is widely used throughout the world. Most universities require students to have completed a Foundation course before embarking on a degree in any aspect of art & design, and a good photography portfolio would be a successful way in to this route. The course would also be a useful base for students considering applying directly for a course in engineering, manufacturing, advertising, architecture or marketing.

 

Up arrow
Scroll up